Tuesday, January 11, 2011

My Goal

I've always loved jogging.  Well, let me rephrase that, I've loved jogging since college and I still do.  The thing I love most about jogging is that it is time just for me.  Sounds selfish, I know, but when I jog, all the stress that I may have been feeling melts away, my attitude improves, and I can just be me.  Jogging, or working out in general, helps me fight off depression that sometimes starts to creep into my mind.  I call my workout time, "my prozac," and it really does work that way for me.  When I'm without it for many days in a row I can feel my thoughts turning dark. 

So I've recruited some friends and will be training for the ....


I'm excited for this opportunity.  I'm only doing the half marathon, but the longest race I've completed is Bloomsday, so this will be more of a challenge.  I am following the training plan outlined on Hal Higdon's website, and since I have more than 12 weeks to train (thank God for that!) I will be able to do many of the weeks in the training plan twice.  I'm now in my second week of training and once I figured how to fit all of the workouts into my "working full-time, mother of 2," schedule, I'm feeling very excited about it.  I feel like I owe it to myself to do this, to accomplish this. 

 So don't be surprised if you see me this summer with this around my neck... 

I figure I can make it go with just about any outfit during the summer. :)

If you have ever completed a half marathon or a full marathon and have any advice for me regarding training, I would love to hear it!  Thanks so much.  Blessings, Jamie


2 comments:

kilipohi said...

Totally fun! I'm trying a triathlon this year...where that came from who knows. But good luck to the both of us!

Kelli said...

Jamie - good for you! I've completed a marathon (many many years ago and one was enough - but, hey, i did it!)and have a few tips.

In addition to the training mapped out on the blog you are reading (which do it, it makes all the difference to keep up with those suggested miles!) if you have time, try to do some strength training - like lunges and squats, planks and core/balance stuff. I did the race with some friends and was not sore (beyond normal after run exhaustion) the next day, while they couldn't sit or stand without being in pain. While, it doesn't last and is sort of a sense of accomplishment in its own weird way, I really think the strength exercises I did played a huge part. It's hard - when you are already spending that much time training - to add one more thing to do but it's really good for you and your muscles :)

Go Jamie!